Friday 12 August 2011

A chain of inspiration: the tunic

Hi, how are you? I´m an avid fan of tunics, so the other day I was thinking about the chain of inspiration that has led me to my love for this piece of clothing.

First of all, I'm fond of the oriental look in western fashion, a trend that was born at the beginning of the 20th century, when the Russian ballet companies made their debut in France. 

I think that the oriental look is never out of style... Look at this stunning photoshoot in British Vogue October 1965, photographed by Henry Clarke:     




Don't you believe that these outfits look amazing? Let´s think that this photoshoot took place in 1965, some time before The Beatles brought the music and fashion from India to the Western world.




Secondly, I love the glamour of 1970s evening fashion, which included tunics like this:


I think that tunics are really flattering to female bodies. They are comfortable and fresh, and in spite of the fact that they never go out of style, they have this sort of vintage air from the Middle East.

This is a cotton tunic I got in Salon Müaré, an ex-costume producer in Buenos Aires (sorry for my sleepy face!):




And these are some pics from Salón Müaré blog: its owners no longer produce costumes, they devote themselves to advise their clients now. So, lately, they have been selling all their vintage collection at incredible low prices.




Do you fancy the oriental look? I would love to read your comments... I hope you will have a nice week-end!!!

xoxo, Mariana

No comments: