Friday 22 July 2011

Something to begin with: My own vintage experience

Hi and welcome! I have been wondering if it would be a good idea to begin with a vintage fashion blog in English (I have had another blog written in my mother tongue, "Sensación Vintage", for over a year), and I´m sure it is.

Firstly, I´m an avid reader of blogs from Europe and the US. Secondly, I know that vintage style has grown very fast and it´s now a real fashion trend in those places, but, I have to admit, it is still not so accepted in Latin America. Last but not least, I would love to get in touch with vintage fans from all over the world. That´s why I´m sure that I will enjoy the experience of posting in English. A bit hard at the very beginning, but with lots of surprises in the future, I hope. 


"Juan Pérez", a well-known vintage store in Buenos Aires.



When did I first get the idea of the vintage style? In the 1990's, when I was 20 something. But, in those days, the word "vintage" was not used. There used to be lots of thrift shops in my city, and there you could buy "worn" and "old" clothes, not in a very good condition. At that time, not many people thought real vintage clothes, in excellent conditions, could be a great investment. 


The shop window of "AlmaZenArte", another vintage store in BA.



But, what is vintage? Vintage are those clothes, accesories or whatever you can find which have lasted for over 20 years or more. Some versions say that these articles of clothing must be over 40 years of age, but I don´t agree. The point is that these fashion products have to be really iconic and symbolize an era. But the good vintage can be worn nowadays: you can show off with a vintage Halston gown and nobody will think that it is out of style! Good vintage pieces catch people´s attention not for looking old-fashioned, but for looking stunning and desirable!


This is me wearing a vintage dress from the late '70s/early '80s.



I hope you will feel like joining me in this trip to vintage experiences in my beloved city, Buenos Aires.

xoxo, Mariana. 

No comments: